Texas Tech University
International Student Waiver Requirements
2015-2016 Academic Year
All international students attending Texas Tech University on a non-immigrant Visa status who is enrolled in 1 or more credit hours are required by the University to have health insurance and to submit proof of insurance annually. The University has established two circumstances in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternative health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set forth below and be submitted by the February 15, 2016 waiver deadline.
A. Criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Student is sponsored by the US or a foreign government, recognized by the US, and they guarantee payment of all health care expenses including medical evacuation and repatriation, and are in compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Student is covered by a U.S. employer health insurance plan or by a parent/spouse’s U.S. employer health insurance plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Please note: travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be acceptable for waiving the Texas Tech University Student Health Plan.
B. If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternative health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Medical coverage is unlimited
- Deductible is $500 or less
- Medical Evacuation Coverage is $10,000 or more
- Repatriation Coverage is $7,500 or more
- Dates of coverage meet or exceed the requirement for the policy year.
C. If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements; acquire the following scanned documents to submit a waiver request:
- The front and back of your insurance card
- The insurance policy benefits summary, in English, that identifies you as a covered individual, provides the dates of your coverage, and clearly indicates that the coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirement. Coverage amounts must be in US dollars.
- The proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage)
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR WAIVER REQUEST ONLY IF YOU MEET ONE OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA