The Spring 18-19 online waiver period for Athletes is 1/1/19 - 1/31/19.
The Spring 18-19 online waiver period is 11/19/18 - 2/15/19.
The Summer 18-19 online waiver period is 5/31/19 - 6/17/19.
Texas Tech University
ATHLETES: WAIVER CRITERIA BELOW:
All student athletes are automatically enrolled in and charged for the Texas Tech University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) unless a waiver is submitted by the January 31,2019, waiver deadline. Students holding comparable coverage may be eligible to waive enrollment in the Texas Tech University SHIP.
To be eligible for a waiver of enrollment in the Texas Tech University SHIP, the University requires that students provide evidence of other comparable health coverage. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of this request will be sent to your email within seven business days.
To qualify for a waiver, your health insurance plan must meet the requirements as listed below.
- Medical coverage must be Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant.
- HMO plans, EPO plans, Short-term plans or Travel Plans are not acceptable for waiver approval.
- Healthcare sharing groups do not meet the requirements for acceptable alternative health insurance. Membership in a healthcare sharing group will not be accepted for waiver approval.
If you want to waive enrollment from Texas Tech University SHIP, please acquire an electronic copy of the front and back of your insurance ID card and then select the link below to submit your waiver request. Once you login, select the RED button under the “No, I do not want the insurance.” Section.
ATHLETES: Click Here to Submit your Waiver Request
International Students: WAIVER CRITERIA BELOW:
2018-2019 Academic Year
All international students attending Texas Tech University on a non-immigrant Visa status who are enrolled in 1 or more credit hours are required by the University to have health insurance and to submit proof of insurance annually. The University has established two circumstances in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternative health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set forth below and be submitted by the February 15, 2019, waiver deadline.
Criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Student is covered by a U.S. employer health insurance plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Student is covered by a parent/spouse’s U.S. employer health insurance plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Please note: travel plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be acceptable for waiving the Texas Tech University Student Health Plan.
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternative health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Medical coverage is unlimited
- Deductible is $500 or less
- Medical Evacuation Coverage is $10,000 or more
- Repatriation Coverage is $7,500 or more
- Dates of coverage meet or exceed the requirement for the policy year.
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements; acquire the following scanned documents to submit a waiver request:
- The front and back of your insurance card
- The insurance policy benefits summary, in English, that identifies you as a covered individual, provides the dates of your coverage, and clearly indicates that the coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirement. Coverage amounts must be in US dollars.
- The proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage)
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Click Here to Submit Your Waiver Request